Sunday, July 19, 2009

One more step

About three years ago, I began to dream about becoming a librarian. There always seemed to be something in my way. I thought it was one thing, then I thought that it was another. I finally realized I was in my own way. I overcame my fears, and set a date to take the GRE's. And I surprised myself by doing well! So then I took the next step, and sent in my application to Syracuse University. Lo and behold, I was accepted!
The next step in my journey began this weekend as I attended my first graduate level course- IST601- Information and Information Environments. Yes, it was tough- I have been working really hard for the last several weeks, preparing for the 7 credits I will be taking over the next two weeks. I received my first graduate level grades- and again, surprise, I did OK! As I was walking to my car, tired but proud, I began to look a little further into my journey. Up until now, I have only been looking at the very next tree, too afraid of being overwhelmed by the forest. Today I lifted my eyes just a little, and I could see that when the professors talked about going out into the world, making our degrees obselete, and being instruments of change, they were talking to me! And better yet, I knew that I was up to the challenge.
At the end of the day today, we were asked to write down our Take Home thoughts. In class, I wrote down a couple that sprang to mind. One was just how important collaboration is. We had a group project due less than 24 hours after meeting one another, and not only did we have to quickly assess the strengths of our partners, but we also had to quickly utilize those strengths literally overnight. I was thankful for a fantastic group that was willing to really go the extra mile, and it showed, but I do realize that won't be the case every time. In a school library setting, I must learn to assess the strengths of both faculty and students, and help to bring out their best. I have already begun to realize that excelling in collaboration is absolutely necessary for a school librarian.
The second Take Home that I wrote down is related to the first, in that it deals with interacting with others. As Professor Heckman noted, in order to get people on board with your changes, you must be able to read them and "know what makes them tick." We must figure what motivates them- what flavor of carrot, so to speak. I actually spent a lot of time reflecting on that within the context of my current position, where the organizational culture has felt so rigid to me in the past. I have, after this weekend, realized that change is not something I need to do alone. I need to colloborate with my peers, and we need to present these changes to management in ways that are meaningful to these managers.
My last Take Home involved a deeper, more personal reflection, was not written down and did not come to immediate fruition. But as my evening has progressed, and I am settling into these new thoughts racing around my head, I have come to realize it is maybe the most important one for me personally. Not only can I do graduate level coursework at SU, but I really can be an instrument of change, and a source of positive energy wherever my future may lead me. Perhaps this is over simplified, but the fact remains that it is genuinely life- altering for me. Not only can I make a difference, but I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment