Thursday, July 23, 2009

Hooray for school librarians!

I was very happy and excited today to hear from a school librarian from EMS. What an inspiration! I may very well be asking to do an internship with her. She discussed weeding school collections, where it has not been done in many years. As I do my project work for IST612 on my home district, I have been thinking quite a lot about how to step into a district that has fallen behind the times, as it looks like my district has. I have wondered how to and what it would take to get the collection up to snuff. And she was able to answer many of my questions, even as I thought them.
Although that was the guest speaker that I most closely connected with, today's other speakers were also inspirational and well-spoken (always a bonus when the guest speaker is vivacious on top of interesting!). The public librarian that spoke was also very inspirational, and in another example of how library careers seem to often meander, much to the pleasure of the "owner" of said career.
One last exciting thing happened- our group has by and large finished the poster project! We decided to do stacks of books , with open books interspersed throughout, with our information on the open books. We are exploring the issue of best use of space in libraries- amore traditional, academic feel, or a service, community feel. Overall, I feel we did well, although, given more time, I would like to make changes. Some of the changes we can perhaps sneak in come morning, but for now, I think it is time for me to retire and get some rest for the last day of bootcamp. Wonder if we will the trip to the ALA symposium......

No comments:

Post a Comment