Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Classroom blogs of the future (mine anyway!)

Question 2: The additional readings give examples of how blogs have been used in the classroom. On the news this week, I learned that a science textbook has included blog entries from students at Central Square Middle School. What are other ways that blogs are currently being used in the classroom and how else do you envision blogs could be used in the future?
I am sure that someone has already done this, but as I was doing this week's readings, I really envisioned an on-line book club, where the host/mediator/librarian either creates weekly discussion questions based on the book, or asks students to create discussion questions. I am so interested in this idea that I am contemplating shopping it around for one of my fieldwork projects. I have heard of a local school that has a Twitter book club, but I think I would like to try blog format. Anyone know of any willing host librarians (read here- guinea pigs)?
For myself, I will definitely use a blog in the same way that is discussed in Cowan's "diary of a blog: listening to kids in an elementary school library" when I start at my future school. I think it would be a fantastic way for the students to get to know me, for me to get to know them, as well as begin to introduce some fun technology.
I think blogs would also be a great format for projects that require observation over time, such as astronomy. This could certianly be geared toward other hard or social sciences. Foreign language classes could have a blog that centers on something cultural like recipes. A drama club could use it as reflection process of a production, getting viewpoints from the "star" as well as stage crew, orchestra, chorus, etc. The limits are only our imagination!

2 comments:

  1. I just took IST613, and one of the groups worked with a librarian to add a blogging dimension to their book club. It's definitely a possibility!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, Good to hear that! I can't wait to implement even half the stuff we have been learning!

    ReplyDelete