Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Chapter 14, The Portable MLIS

As I read Mary Chelton's chapter on readers advisory services, I kept thinking about my interview with a librarian (Darlene St. John, June 8th), as well as some of the librarian blogs that I have started following. This chapter really excited me- engaging people in reading and the joy of books is the whole reason I am in this program, and Chelton discusses many of the things that I am eagerly anticipating.
One thing Chelton discusses is reading groups. I have been thinking about parent/student reading groups as a way of letting children explore some more controversial works. I know that being in a school setting, the controversial readings may not happen, but still to have a reading group where parents and students are involved seems like a great opportunity to both introduce new material and to help families connect! I have also been reading a lot in blogs about clubs and groups that meet in the libraries before and/or after school, and that seems like a great chance to develop some reading groups, too.
Another thought that went along with involving parents was utilization of the the school web-page. I perused the library web page of some local elementary schools, and found one in particular (West Genesee School District- East Hill Elementary) that had class projects posted that looked like they utilized such Web 2.0 resources as Flickr and podcasts. Every single child had a project posted for their parents to see. Electronic resources could also be used to have the kids develop a newsletter- giving them a chance to learn about things like graphics. Ms. St. John has her children write up a newsletter, but she dislikes the copying associated with it (can you believe that was her least favorite part of her job?!?!) so I thought maybe the newsletter could be posted on-line for other students and parents alike to see.
Chelton also briefly mentions author visits (pg. 163), which also made me think back to my interview with Ms. St. John. She had mentioned bringing in several different people, such as authors, as a way of engaging the children. I also found a web page where you can hire authors to fly in and speak. I realize though that some schools may have tighter budgets, and that these possibilities may not work. But what about getting the high school kids to come in and read to the younger kids something that they have authored? Or doing book talks?
One last item Chelton mentions that I am eagerly anticipating are the displays. I can't wait to start going through the collection and combining books in different ways to generate curiosity. After finishing this chapter, I went on-line and searched for library displays (some are even pictured on Flickr). One librarian mentioned pulling some old books out, dusting them off for a display, and they have been getting checked out regularly ever since! I definitely think that "merchandising" the collection is especially important with young children.
One thing that Chelton does not mention is the use of games, current events and contests to draw in children. Ms. St. John uses a lot of these type things- book voting contests based on sports, question games based on books, etc. to draw in the children. What a great way to get kids to read, even though they have not really asked for reading advice!
I am so excited to be learning about all the interactive programs that today's librarians are developing that I can only say one thing- I can't wait!

West Genesee School District- East Hill Elementary Retrieved June 16, 2009, from http://blackboard.ocmboces.org/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab=courses&url=%2Fbin%2Fcommon%2Fcourse.pl%3Fcourse_id%3D_4368_1
Interview with Darlene St. John, June 8, 2009.
Chelton, M. (2008). Readers Advisory Services: How to Help Users Find a "Good Book." In K. Haycock, & B. E. Sheldon (Eds.), The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts (pp. 159-167), Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited

No comments:

Post a Comment